1.06.2015

Life without a mom.

This title has run through my head many times.  It is a statement too many have to say in this life.  
Lately, our youngest son has started saying "Hey Mama!" when he walks into the room, or driving in the car.  These words are some of the sweetest I have ever heard.  Mama.  I am his and he is mine.  He has a mom.  Our precious boy waited 20 months before he could say that with the full meaning behind it.  I am his mother.  
To me a mother is so much - a supporter, a teacher, a fan, a protector, a provider, a prayer warrior, a tender care taker, a shoulder, joy, a listener.  At least in my life, thats what my mother was.  
At age 30, I had to say good bye to my mom.  I know I will see her again and I know He has wiped every tear from her ever weary body, but I still had to say good bye.  There are moments, as an adult, when I would love nothing more than to have my mother with me.  To listen to the hard day, to encourage me, to allow me to brag on her precious grand-children and for her to see her legacy.  But I have a blessing amidst all the longings - I had an incredible mother, and her character still rings true and strong in my life and my families.  When I listen to my sweet boy say those words to me I cannot help but think of the numerous children out there who have not had the chance to utter those words.  They do not know what a mothers touch feels like... what a pit I have in my stomach and soul just writing that last sentence.  To live life with out a mom.  No one should have to endure that.  Just makes me think - who else is God calling me to be a mom too.  

1 comment:

  1. Precious words!! I too have lived since age 28 without a mom & I too had a wonderful legacy from her. Now that I'm a grandmother & have experienced how important our roles are for our children & grandchildren, I cherish even more the memories of my own mom. We have one who waited two years for a mom also & cannot even imagine how many out there need a mom so desperately!! Thank you Jen, for being such a wonderful mom, patterned after a wonderful mom!!! ...... & for loving the "momless" ones when God plants them in you path & heart!! ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete